Pigeons are flying rats. Everyone wants to get rid of them. You may see them in cities first but when they nest under your solar panels. They are creating a huge mess for you. is bothering you more than ever. Now they are living with you. Not only are their sounds unbearable, but their sounds are also harmful to your roof tiles and solar panels. Without further ado, here it is.
You can get rid of pigeons under the solar panels by covering them with wire netting or any available netting. Chili powder, black pepper and cinnamon can also be used to prevent them. Clean the blisters and nests under the solar panels before installing the wire mesh.
It is not enough. As you apply these tips you have to choose them wisely. Do everything with due care and strategy. A better plan can keep them off your roof for longer. This is a detailed guide. I will tell you why they are coming to your solar panels and whether their presence can damage your panels.
Clean pigeons’ remains first
The first thing you need to do is clean the underside of the panels before covering them. Pigeons have built their nests there and their shells will be there too. You must remove the nest first. If there are babies, wait for them to fly or call bird control authorities.
Now clear the area. You can use a garden hose. Keep the pressure low. This can damage your solar panels. If you don’t want to use water, you can use vinegar and dish soap to clean the brush. You can use a bird poop cleaner. Remember to wear gloves as there may be chances of infection.
You can also try pigeon traps.
Use black pepper under solar panels (Homemade and cheap)
This is the cheapest way to get rid of these birds. Pigeons generally do not like the smell of hot peppers and chili sauce. As they have nested in your area. You can sprinkle black pepper under the solar panels. It can keep them away.
Note that this is not a permanent solution. The wind is always on the roof. It can fade over time. If this method works for you. You can use it. But you have to put cinnamon or black pepper every now and then. But if they have laid eggs in the nest or hatched there. This method may not work. For this purpose, you need something that covers the solar panels.
If there is no entry point. They will never get there. No nest no hump.
Installing wire mesh can keep the pigeons away from solar panels
This is the best way to keep these tiny creatures from nesting under solar panels. This is done to cover the space around the panels which prevents them from entering.
For this, you only need a wire mesh. The mesh has small boxes. Not only it will keep the pigeons away but also other rodents such as rats. A quality mesh will not rust and discolor with rains. The one benefit of using this type of deterrent is that you will not face any problem with the rainwater. It will pass through easily. If the pests will try to force and enter it will not break.
How to apply?
You can apply it easily even if you haven’t experienced such type of work before.
- Cut the fence according to the length using a wire cutter.
- Measure the distance from the top of the solar panel to the roof
- Attach washers with the wire under the panels
- For the corners cut the wire so it can bend easily
Before installing it is recommended to clean the place before applying the wire mesh
Use the net to cover the panels
If you don’t want to pay for wire mesh, you can use netting to cover the area around the panel. The net can be deployed manually. This will cover the area but is not a better solution than wire mesh. If you already have internet at home, you can use it. But if you are going to pay for it separately, I wouldn’t recommend it.
Bird spikes can stop the pigeons from entering the solar panels
Another way to keep pigeons away is to use bird spikes. This can prevent them from nesting. They are not going to hurt them. But it will be enough to tease them and give them a little pain that prevents them from starting the site. I suggest you don’t spend money on them. If you want a permanent solution, go for wire mesh.
Although this reduces their chances of sitting. When they see spikes, they find nesting less attractive.
Do pigeons damage solar panels?
Pigeon feces can be hazardous to solar panels due to its acidic properties. They don’t do much damage to your solar system though. They can damage your wires slightly or reduce their loss by up to 30%.
Other posts to read:
- How to keep crows away from birdfeeder?
- Keep the birds away from balcony?
- How to keep seagulls off the dock?
- How to keep crows off the roof?
- How to keep crows away?
- Keep birds off porch light.
- Keep sparrows out of wren houses.
- Keep birds out of the carport.
- Keep birds out of the pool.
- Keep birds off the patio.
- Keep sparrows out of the bird houses.
- Keep sparrows away – detailed guide
- Keep ospreys away
- Keep pigeons away.
- Sparrows on roof? Here’s the solution.
- Keep sparrows away from the barn?
- Get rid of sparrows on porch.
- Keep crows out of tall trees.
- Get rid of birds nesting in awning.
- Get rid of starlings from birdfeeder.
- Keep starlings away from the roof.
- Get rid of birds from vents.
- How to get a bird out of building?
- Get rid of birds on roof.
- Get rid of sparrows from feeders.
- Do pinwheels scare away birds?
Why are pigeons attracted to solar panels?
Pigeons are attracted to solar panels because they find shelter and protection there. Hawks, dogs, cats, even humans cannot get there. Pigeons do not have the ability to build nests, so they look for places where they can lay their eggs and no one can attack them.
How much does it cost to pigeon proof a solar panel?
It depends on what products you are using for covering the solar panels.
- Wire mash costs you 38$ to 115$ depending on the mesh you buy. If you implement it by yourself that’s the cost. But if you hire an agency it will cost you more.
- The number of solar panels and their sizes also influence the cost.
- 100 ft mesh may cost you 112$. Measure the length of the panels and estimate accordingly.
Hope this article helps you to get rid of other birds too. If you have any other ideas share them with us. Thank you