Oats are one of the healthiest grains in the world. They are rich in protein fiber antioxidants and certain types of vitamins that are essential for the living body.
Can pigeons eat porridge oats? Pigeons can eat oats. They are nutritious and holds a good taste for pigeons that’s why they love to eat them. It is recommended to feed oats along with other grains and seeds too.
Is there any benefit of feeding them oatmeal? How much is necessary? Is there any side effect? Know these answers in the below
Benefits of oats for pigeons
There are a lot of benefits of feeding oats to your bird. Oats are highly nutrients grains.
- During breeding days it is recommended to feed oats for fulfilling the nutrients value of pigeons.
- It will help the female pigeon to lay the healthy egg. In result the baby pigeon grow faster and healthier.
- It also stimulates their nervous system.
- It makes them more healthy and prepares them for breeding seasons.
- It cause the bird to be more active.
How to prepare oats?
As there are a lot of benefits for pigeons so it is recommended to give them properly. here the recipe is a mixture of foods that is surely a tasty breakfast for your bird.
- 12 grains of Oatmeals
- Boiled Egg
- Fruits (banana, apple e.g)
- Take 12 grains of oatmeals in a pan and add water to it.
- Boil for 10 minutes
- Take a boiled egg and cut it into small pieces.
- Take fruits e.g banana, apple and cut them into small pieces.
- Add corn too
- Mix all the ingredients. The recipe is ready. It’s time to taste it to your bird
You can refrigerate the remaining food for later use. There is no harm in doing it.
Note: If your pigeon eats banana or apple then you should add these fruits. If not then stay away.
Can pigeons eat uncooked oats?
They can eat uncooked oats without any problem that are easily digestible. They love to eat raw oats. Oats are hard but before digestion, they are broken down into small pieces in the bird’s stomach.
Some people think that oatmeal can cut down their internal digestive organs as they are hard.
It is only a myth. All birds have gizzards that break down any food before the digestion period starts. You can feed them. There is no harm at all
How much oatmeal should I feed my pigeon?
Some experts say oatmeal should be feed with other grains so the diet can be balanced. It should not be a primary food source.
You should not substitute with the major diets. Balanced diet is necessary.
According to some experts that oats must not be more than 5% of the total diet.Feed them with other seeds.
Why you should don’t feed it too much?
Don’t feed too much. Oats are rich in iron. When feeding in excess quantity, it can cause toxicosis.
It results in malfunctioning of organs as they are too damaged which can cause sudden death in pigeons. The imbalance of iron in the body can cause the accumulation of toxic fluids in the harmful body.
Note : Excess quantity means you are feeding only oats to your pigeon, not any other food included
Excess amounts of any food can be harmful.