The curiosity about cockatiel picking is genuine, but some issues must be recognized. So, are cockatiels a good pet for beginners? Every cockatiel expert caretaker was a novice. But what are the exact facts to know before bringing a cockatiel? The hobby or interest in spending alone time with pets cannot bore you.
Therefore, crowded places and limited access make cockatiel inconvenient. Nevertheless, cages are necessary before keeping pets, but not sufficient for their nutrition. Allocation, surrounding area and budget are other matters. However, mutual understanding between cockatiels and humans is beneficial to both.
Therefore, below will be discussed several aspects that are valuable to every pet lover. Let’s see if you have all the stuff. You can read pros and cons here.
- 1 Matters to look for beginners before bringing a cockatiel
- 2 Why is cockatiel the right choice for starters?
- 3 Is it hard to keep a cockatiel?
- 4 Are cockatiels good family pets?
- 5 Last words
Matters to look for beginners before bringing a cockatiel
Nevertheless, a cockatiel is a pleasing option because of their social behavior. Certainly, cockatiel doesn’t want your extra time but needs some concentration. Make sure about your cockatiel life span and your free time, before carrying cockatiels at your home.
Allocation for Cage adjustment
For novice pet keepers, allocation is a priority for cage adjustment. Without proper or excessive placement, the cockatiel cannot live happily. However, the open and unrestricted areas would be a plus point for having cockatiels. According to the parrot bird, you should decide a suitable corner of your house. For cockatiel cage setup, Read here.
In addition, cages are meant for protection from predators and serve as a peaceful home for the birds. A single cockatiel requires a smaller cage, which may be adjustable to an indoor area. Similarly, a couple needs a large enclosure that can be fixed in a secure outdoor view. you should;
- Avoid keeping the cage near television or radio. Hence, cockatiel loves to hear music for a limited time. It can annoy your bird to place its cage in a noisy area.
- Fix cockatiel cage in an uncongested room for their free movement. At a limited place, they cannot meet fresh air and are unable to perform the exercise. A separate room provides them with outdoor activities to seek training.
- Distance between cages and windows is a must to avoid direct sunlight. However, it can help maximum passage of air and expel heat.
Take a look at your busy routine
Leaving a cockatiel alone is not an admirable act. Perhaps, it will be difficult for you to spare some time for your cockatiel. In this instance, you should analyze your working and free hours. You shouldn’t be playing with cockatiels if you’re busy working. No doubt about it, they want your time to play.
In addition, birds look for sympathy in order to have a clean environment and fresh food every day. But for lonely and less busy individuals, birds can help provide mental comfort. you must give;
- Maximum time in a day
- Provide fresh food daily after saving your time from your busy routine
- Change water from the water bath
- Give them time to observe their owner for prompt relations
Hence, if you commit to handling the above points, then cockatiels are a good pet for you.
Caged areas are numbered for starter cockatiels lovers. Probably, cockatiels do not like crowded and polluted areas. If you have a smoke and dust free space then you are bound to have a cockatiel starter. However, you can opt for dining table areas for conversing over cockatiels.
Nevertheless, birds require maximum oxygen due to their fast metabolism. In this context, choose a place near open doors and windows. A calm, safe and stress-free environment makes you a good caretaker for cockatiels.
- Retain your area calm and cool because it is safe for cockatiel’s mental health.
- Find out the place where cockatiel will interact with people.
- Due to feathers, cockatiels need cool air to retain freshness in summer. However, ceiling fans help to keep them dry from sweat. Try to turn off fans during cockatiel outdoor access.
Your budget for taking pets
Budget is another problem along with all other factors. In fact, you need enough annual amounts to nourish a cockatiel. However, a couple requires double care. If you are a student and not working, then raising cockatiels will be a very difficult task. Therefore, before thinking about cockatiel nutrition, you should:
- Keep your budget high to buy quality food and toys. Because it will maintain their health and keep them active.
- You should spend your expenses on the convenient, large, and roomy cage. Ultimately cages allow them comfort and security.
- Buy toys according to cockatiel age and sensitive beak. Otherwise, less expensive and poor-quality toys will be toxic for cockatiel.
Assuredly, cockatiel wants variety to live healthily and merrily. Just a variety of food cannot entertain a cockatiel. You can be happily ready if cockatiel meet all essentials like;
- A hygienic cage to get rid of bacteria
- Toys for keeping enthusiastic and smart
- Bathing tubs to retain shiny and nourishing
- Food feeders to lure cockatiel towards food
- Perches to meet chewing habit
- Clean environment to grow them fast and extend their lifespan
- A well-spaced area to roam and fly freely
In fact, without a mother, baby birds do not eat healthy food and feel stressed when swallowing. Weaned cockatiels are for those who want baby cockatiels. Lastly, if you’re inclined to hand-feed cockatiels, you can take weaned cockatiels. Otherwise, the cockatiel will die from ignorance or improper care. You must offer;
- 7-8 hours daily for weaned birds to entertained them
- Check them after every hour whether they are active or not
- Give them soft food to easily engulfing
Your personality for pets
Cockatiels tend to create disturbances if they feel lonely, sad and unsatisfied. The cockatiel’s bad behavior is only due to the mistakes of the owners. If birds feel unhealthy, messy and overcrowded in areas, they make noises. Hence, they make sounds in different situations like happiness, curiosity and anger.
- So, for those who like calm around them, then keep avoiding to take cockatiel.
- Be patient with your birds and allow them freedom.
Why is cockatiel the right choice for starters?
If you have successfully won in all the above factors, then cockatiel is the right choice for you. A cockatiel is preferable for starters due to its unique characteristics.
Longer life span
Due to cockatiel’s longer life span, beginners can prefer them. A cockatiel can live a maximum of about 20 years. If you buy a baby cockatiel, then it is a good advantage for you.
Other than every bird, cockatiel can skillfully tame. They are sharp and quick learners. That’s why you don’t need maximum time for their training.
A cockatiel can observe its owners easily. However, they are talkative and easily interact with others. Mainly, cockatiel requires a time of 7-8 months to talk with its caretaker. Moreover, a cockatiel is adequate for a friendless and desolate person.
Is it hard to keep a cockatiel?
Keeping cockatiels for the experts doesn’t have to be hard. But speaking of starters, it is possible to have a cockatiel at home. You can feed children as well as adults according to some instructions, training and cockatiel tasting. When you provide cockatiels with all they need as a novice, they will be easily tamed.
Are cockatiels good family pets?
In fact, cockatiels make a great family pet because of their affectionate and cuddly nature. They are social pets and want humans to talk to them. Nevertheless, cockatiels tend to be active and smaller, which are adjustable indoors.
But even before training they become dangerous for children. Apart from their social habits, they are also irritated by the crowd. Soon, they are the best pets for the family and easily become good friends.
Do cockatiels feel lonely?
Still, it is not unsurprising that the cockatiel feels lonely but not because of its mate. Birds crave the attention and care of their owners. So, cockatiels will never get bored if you give them all your time.
However, they do enjoy the company of humans and show their affection with hugs. In another sense, they feel resentful if you are not able to play with cockatiels and fail to provide them with food. To keep your cockatiel entertained, try giving them a companion to relieve their loneliness.
Shortly, this explained article covers all the concepts regarding cockatiel pets for a beginner. Still, cockatiels make a great pet for everyone.
In addition, cockatiels have a long life that makes beginners uninterested in their care. Plus, along with bonding, you’ll enjoy cockatiel-loving company. This cockatiel would be doing it an injustice if you only have a crowded room.
They will not get fresh oxygen and will feel suffocated in the overloaded space. In addition, weaned cockatiels can live without their mother, and beginners can skillfully handle them.
Nevertheless, cockatiels are fine family pets that are treated with kindness. However, don’t neglect your cockatiels because of your busy schedule. Out of your kindness, it’s easy for you to get a cockatiel.